15 Apr Retailers: 3 ways to make apps work better for you
With more than 10 million Aussie consumers using smartphones and mobile retail being one of the fastest-growing sectors, smart devices are quickly opening new revenue channels for retailers.
However, while most retailers understand the importance of mobile and have started investigating in ways to engage their customers, many are not using the medium to its full potential.
Here are three specific ways retailers can drive mobile traffic to increase revenue in this brave new shopping world.
1. Deliver better customer experiences
Mobile apps hold vast amounts of real-time data about customer behaviour. With mobile app analytics, not only do retailers have a greater understanding of their customers, but this data then allows them to create and deliver a customised experience. Here are some specific ways to deliver better customer experiences:
- Customised communications: Communications can be timed to best meet a customer’s schedule or the most likely time of the day they are thinking about making their next purchase. Content can then be tailored to the user based on your customers’ demographics and/or in-app activity.
- Influence purchase decisions in-store: App data on coupon usage and shopping habits can also be used to offer in-store deals or to upsell the customer on related items.
- Cater and streamline business: Retailers now have access to data on a customer’s reaction to their offerings, in the form of reviews and ratings. This data will allow retailers to be more agile, collect feedback quicker and cater their offerings to their customers’ wants and desires.
2. Use smarter push notifications
In today’s connected and mobile-driven world, traditional advertising alone is no longer sufficient to drive revenue. With the penetration of smartphones, retailers need to take advantage of the opportunity to connect with customers anytime, anywhere.
Using push notifications, retailers can use targeted messaging to drive customers to their store, or purchase items right then and there inside a mobile application. Notifications can also be used to send updates such as new stock notices, shipment status or upcoming sales.
Now with segmentation and localisation features, retailers can also message specific customers when they are close to the store, with the goal of pulling them in to shop.
When used effectively, customised push notifications are a powerful marketing tool that promotes increased engagement and provides retailers with a strategic means to drive revenue.
3. Do as Apple does: Create internal apps
For larger businesses, an optimal internal app should empower employees to deliver better customer service.
Key features, such as up-to-date product information, complementary lines and upsell messaging, can assist employees by providing the tools they need to convert queries into sales. Because the probability of sale is highly dependent on the quality of the salesperson, customers are more likely to interact with a sales associate who can provide valuable information quickly.
This means that an employee who is not well versed in product details or options is at high risk of not properly identifying and matching a customer’s needs to a product in-store. Sales are lost to competitors, rather than shifted to alternative product lines or customised solutions.
Mobile devices provide organisations with an unprecedented amount of visibility, control and consistency in the sales process. An optimal enterprise app should also accept customer requirements and output product recommendations for employees to offer.
When analytics are added, head offices have access to accurate and detailed reporting that influences product development, marketing and strategy. Accurate, real-time customer feedback will enable companies to make better strategic decisions and have an advantage over their competition.
Retailers who invest in the three areas above will successfully use mobile to increase their revenue across all channels.
If you are interested to learn more about how you can leverage mobile apps in your business, contact us for an initial no hassles consultation.